A few days ago I blogged about not having the pressure of referring to my goals as “New Year Resolutions”…just something I do for myself….but I know that everyone sets some goals or resolutions this time of year for improvement within themselves and their lives.
Here are a few of mine:
1.Weight loss(and yes this is a cliche goal)
3.Full-Time Business Owner(I sit at about half time now)
These are just a few and I have some mini goals that I will do to get to the final destination. I would like to know some of yours, if you are willing to share and not sure how to go about accomplishing them, maybe we can help each other?
Remember-you don’t have to change the world over night! Use the S.M.A.R.T process:
Many of us have goals in our heads of things that we want to see happen. Yet they never quite make their way to paper nor do we achieve them. This weekend I am launching my new class, “The 7 Ways to Create Good Fortune” and one of the points that will be covered is setting goals and actually writing them down, working with them in an ACTIVE way, and how to reach the end result.
In preparing the materials for the class I did some research into the power of actually writing down objectives and backing them up with action plans. As a result I came across this study and it was really interesting to see the importance of writing down objectives and creating a plan.
In 1979, Harvard Business School did a study on the graduating class and their goals. Here is some of what they found.
84% of the class had set no goals at all
13% of the class had set written goals but had no concrete plans
3% of the class had both written goals and concrete action plans
10 years later, the 13% of the class that had set and written down their targets but had not created concrete plans, were making twice as much money in comparison to the 84% of the class that had set none at all.
The 3% of the class that had both written down goals and a plan, were making TEN TIMES as much money as the rest of the 97% of the class.
Pretty interesting, right? I will be talking to you more about your goals. How to set them and how to make them work for you. Start thinking about what you would like to achieve in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years. WRITE them down! This is your first step in the beginning of how to create your own personal good fortune.
Perfection in life is a work in progress and really amounts to a series of small tweaks on a consistent basis—not an abundance of huge, earth shattering changes.Sometimes we do ourselves a disservice when we try and make monumental changes all at once.That’s a BIG job and when we fail we use it as an excuse to stay stuck and as an excuse not to change.
I’m thinking that small tweaks are really the way to go, one step at a time and when are old habits try and pull us back into the familiar patterns we just make a small tweak to get ourselves back on track.
A series of small tweaks can result in a great list of accomplishments as you keep renewing things and tweaking behaviors this way and that to get the desired results.
Within this context when you have a ‘bad day’ and your goal isn’t reached you can make some small tweaks and do better tomorrow.
The process of tweaking leaves a lot of room to improve and it supports a work in progress which is what we are.